written by Renee Thompson, photographed by Kimberly Harris
Disposable face masks for skin care are becoming more common, but in the ever growing beauty aisle, few environmentally friendly alternatives exist. One way to ensure your beauty routine is as green as possible is to make your own. There are hundreds of face mask recipes that use natural materials, and making them yourself is a great way to de-stress through the process or connect with others in your home.
An easy way to add THC to a natural face mask is to use infused coconut oil or sugar. Some expected effects from using THC in face masks would include (but is not limited to) muscle relaxation and a slight tingling sensation. Everyday ingredients like honey, yogurt, and avocado act as natural moisturizer, and things like citrus and pineapple juice are effective at breaking down dirt in pores. Once a month, or as needed, treat yourself to some of our favorite THC infused combinations.
Pore Cleansing Mask
-1 ½ tsp. honey
-1 tsp. of THC infused coconut oil
1. Cut lemon in half.
2. Over a bowl, use a fork to loosen the lemon sections while trying to keep as much of the lemon chunks and juice inside as possible.
3. Pour infused coconut oil in the exposed lemon half.
4. Use a fork to push the oil inside the lemon.
5. Repeat steps 3. & 4. with honey.
6. Use a fork to mix the honey, oil, and lemon juice inside the lemon.
7. Apply the lemon with mixture to your skin. Make sure you apply an even layer to your face, leaving areas around your eyes and mouth exposed.
8. If needed squish the lemon, away from your eyes, slightly to release more of the mixture.
9. Let the mask stay for 10-30 minutes.
10. Wash off with warm water.
-1 egg white
-⅓ cup plain uncooked oats
-2 tsp. THC infused coconut oil
-2 TBS. plain yogurt
1. In one bowl, mix your oats and yogurt until there are no clumps of dry oats.
2. In another bowl, mix together the egg white and oil.
3. Pour the egg mixture into the oat mixture and mix until they are combined.
4. Apply the mask while you’re over a sink to avoid any possible messes.
5. Cover your face avoiding your eyes and mouth.
6. Leave the face mask on until the mixture begins to tighten and dry. This can take 25-50 minutes.
7. Use warm water and a paper towel to get the more solidified chunks off your face.
8. Use warm water and a gentle face wash to remove any excess.
-½ ripe avocado
-1 TBS. or 1 tea bag of pure green tea
-2 ½ tsp. THC infused coconut oil
-1 TBS. honey
1. Cut a ripe avocado into small pieces and add them to the bowl.
2. In the bowl, use the fork and spoon to mash the avocado until it has reached a pudding-like state.
3. Add the honey, tea leaves, and infused oil into the mashed avocado. Stir all the ingredients together until they are well incorporated.
4. Put the mask on your face evenly, leaving your eyes and mouth exposed.
5. Let the mask stay on your face for 20-60 minutes, then use warm water and a paper towel to remove the bulk of the mask.
6. Use warm water to rinse your face of any remaining residue.